Friday, March 20, 2009

What You Should Know If You Are a Victim of Crime in travel

Consular officers are committed to assisting American citizens who become victims of crime while abroad. Familiar with local government agencies and resources in the country where they work, consular officers can help American crime victims to:

  • replace a stolen passport;
  • contact family, friends, or employers;
  • obtain appropriate medical care;
  • address other emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime;
  • provide information about the local criminal justice process and about the case itself;
  • obtain information about local resources to assist victims, including foreign crime victim compensation programs;
  • obtain information about U.S. crime victim assistance and compensation programs, and
  • obtain a list of local attorneys who speak English.

    No comments: