Thursday, March 20, 2008

Graduated Licensing applies to drivers of limited-speed motorcycles and mopeds

A restricted class M licence is for drivers who operate a limited-speed motorcycle or moped. A limited-speed motorcycle is a motorcycle that has a maximum speed of 70 km/h. Applicants for the restricted class M licence are required to take both M1 and M2 road tests.

Like standard motorcycle drivers, new drivers applying for their limited-speed motorcycle or moped licence will enter Ontario’s graduated licensing system. You must be at least 16 years of age and pass a vision test and a test of your knowledge of the rules of the road and traffic signs. After you pass these tests, you will enter Level One and get an M1 licence. You must pass two road tests to become fully licensed on a limited-speed motorcycle or moped. Passing the first road test lets you move to Level Two (class M2 with L condition). Passing the second road test gives you restricted class M driving privileges. With this licence, you can drive mopeds and limited-speed motorcycles only; you will not be able to operate a full-powered motorcycle.

The ministry has approved motor scooter training courses. These courses are offered by motorcycle safety associations/colleges and these courses include road testing. Motorcycle safety associations/colleges may also offer motor scooter training courses without road testing. You may contact them directly to see what courses are offered.

No comments: